Thursday, September 30, 2010

bad girl movie black bean stuffed poblanos

I needed to make a quick vegetarian recipe to bring over to a girl friend's house. Did a quick search and stumbled upon a good recipe. After a few modifications I made the following.
A quick word of warning: even if youre only using ONE jalapeno put some plastic baggies over your hands. both of them. I had a rough night just because I thought I was in the clear because I was 'only cutting one jalapeno." Also annoying about jalapenos is that you never know how hot they are. Remember you can remove the membrane and seeds to help put some of the fire out.


  • 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes puree
  • 1  jalapeno
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, 2 whole, 1 minced
  • coarse salt, ground pepper
  • 2 cans (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 large poblano chiles, halved lengthwise [stems left intact] ribs and seeds removed
Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. In a blender, combine tomatoes puree, jalapeno, half the onions, and 2 whole garlic cloves. Puree until smooth. Season with salt. Pour the sauce into a 9x13-inch baking dish and then set it aside.
In a medium bowl, combine beans, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onions, minced garlic and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. 
Place poblanos in microwave for 10 minutes to help cut down on cooking time because you are in a hurry and you are starving.  Remove and place poblanos in baking dish on top of sauce. 
Dividing evenly, stuff the poblano chile halves with the bean mixture. You don't have to stuff all of them completely....the beans are really filling so even if they dont look 'full' you will get full. Sprinkle the poblano chiles with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
Bake until the poblanos are tender, about 35 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook until the sauce thickens slightly and cheese is golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment