Total gross out.
Anyway, I wanted to figure out a way to make a super crunchy baked fish and once I did I wanted to figure out how to make a super crunchy 'fried' chicken. I love healthy fried stuff.
Soooo I would like to introduce you to Panko. Panko is a Japanese style breadcrumb that is used for deep frying foods. It comes out super crunchy. Basically, it's breadcrumbs made without the crust of the bread. Then the crust less bread is coarsely ground into airy, large flakes that give fried foods a really light, crunchy coating. The flakes tend to stay crispier longer than standard breadcrumbs or a flour coating because they don’t absorb as much grease.
But you know I'm not using any grease or fats in my cooking and I sure as heck am not frying anything.
We have been using this Panko coating recipe on fish, chicken and pork loin. It always comes out crunchy, lets me get my 'fried food' cravings knocked out and is super easy.
This recipe would be a great way to make some homemade chicken nuggets for your kids. Just prepare this recipe using chicken, cut into whatever size you'd like and store some in the freezer after you bake them.
Speaking of frozen, I'd like to bring to your attention my deep deep love of frozen veggies. I buy Kroger brand because Kroger charges $0.89 for a bag of veggies that will make up four veggie serving for Jason and I. In the world of veggies you want to go fresh than frozen then canned. I try to never eat anything out of a can (bisphenol-A y'all bisphenol-A) ever and I do not always have time to prepare fresh (you will notice my pics are always dark and that is because I am cooking pretty late in the evening,after the sun goes down, losing the natural light needed for a great photo). Using frozen veggies gives me the opportunity to make a variety of veggies quick and fast. So in one meal I can serve cauliflower, snap peas, lima beans and broccoli. I will confess to you that the old school "mixed vegetable" variety is my favorite. Anyway back to Panko.
The brand I prefer is Kikkoman. Im going to be using one cup of Panko. There are a 110 calories in a cup. I'm going to stretch that cup real far.
If you been following this blog you know I am also not going to use any sort of egg or milk or anything to get these crumbs to stick...because why add the extra fat? They will stick with the water you used to rinse the meat (I always rinse meat) just fine.
I am also only going to put Panko on one side of the meat because once again I, don't need the extra calories of coating both sides and it wont effect the taste.
Season the Panko with some garlic powder, a little salt and some pepper to taste. A couple of shakes of Parmesan cheese is also really good. The Panko will taste the same on the meat as it will before it is cooked so make sure you are happy with your seasoning job.
Rinse your meat and do not pat dry.
Throw your meat in your panko and press down so the Panko really sticks.
Let them hang out while you preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper ( I do this so I don't have to scrub the pan later, don't have to flip the chicken..easier clean up..and nothing sticks) and throw your meat on there.
Bake for 20-35 minutes (mine were in for 35 because I like to see my meat with a little brown tan)
I served mine with some frozen mixed veggies (heat on the stove while your chicken is baking..and we don't even season ours..they are all delicious just plain and taste super fresh) and some curry coconut milk rice leftover from another meal.
Also this is the oldest, most broke down plate we own. It was Jason's when he was a bachelor and I used to go over to his house when he wasn't home, make him meals and then leave them in the fridge for him for when he came home from work. I'd serve them on this plate for him (they had maybe 3 plates in the house) and wrap it in saran wrap and put a little love note in there. It's my favorite plate we own even though it prob needs to go in the trash. I'm a big mush ball sentimental.
Hope you guys are having a good week. I am looking forward to this weekend! We are going to watch some great MMA fights on my cheat day with my husband. I love the Pasadena Convention Center's nachos and I've been craving a beer all week. See? We don't always eat mega healthy Meghann. :) Have a great weekend guys! xoxo



No comments:
Post a Comment